A CPA is a certified public accountant who is licensed by a state board of accountancy.
To earn the prestige associated with the CPA license, you are required to demonstrate knowledge and competence by meeting high educational standards, passing the CPA exam and completing a specific amount of general accounting experience.
The two most important aspects of becoming a CPA are passing the Uniform CPA Exam and meeting licensing requirements in the state where you want to practice.
|Nevada CPA licensure Requirements – Overview|
|Educational Hours Required for Licensure||150 Semester Hours|
|Residency Required||U.S. citizen or legal resident|
|Degree Required||Bachelor’s or Master’s|
|Minimum Age||Not required|
|Additional Requirements||Nevada Board of Accountancy Site|
Educational Hours Required for licensure
The Certified Public Accountant certification is one of the most prestigious professional certifications available. It indicates that the accountant has satisfied a demanding set of educational, professional, and ethical standards. In addition, candidates must pass the rigorous CPA exam in order to earn the distinction of this credential. Before candidates can sit for the exam, they must satisfy their Nevada CPA requirements and qualifications. Each state has its own set of eligibility requirements for the CPA licensure, which should not be confused with CPA exam requirements. Below we will be discussing the requirements for the state of Nevada.
Applicant for CPA Certification must have a Bachelors Degree that includes 150 credits of education. Included in the 150 credits the applicant must have the following:
- 30 semester credits or 45 quarter credits in Accounting courses above the introductory level. Subjects to be covered include:
- Financial Accounting 9 Credits
- Cost Accounting 3 Credits
- Auditing 3 Credits
- Federal Income Tax 3 Credits
- Accounting Electives 12 Credits
- 3 semester credits or 4.5 quarter credits of Business Law
- 24 semester credits or 36 quarter credits in Business at the undergraduate or graduate level.
- Provide results of a Rules of Professional Conduct (Ethics) exam taken within the last 3 years.
- Submit a moral character reference form to three individuals that are familiar with your moral character.
- 20 Hours of Continuing Professional Education (CPE) are required as part of the application for licensure.
- Nevada requires an applicant to pass an examination in professional ethics.
Minimum age required
Minimum age not required. Applicant must be a citizen of the United States or legally present in the United States.
Candidates who have successfully passed the examination will be required to complete the American Institute of Certified Public Accountant’s continuing professional educational course “Professional Ethics: The AICPA’s Comprehensive Course On-Demand (For Licensure).”
$240 for the individual application and $200 for firm annual permit.
- The candidate will have 2 Years of full-time employment performing any combination of the approved tasks in a partnership, corporation, LLC or sole proprietorship engaged in the practice of public accounting;
- 4 years of full-time employment performing any combination of the approved tasks in a governmental or other industry position that is substantially equivalent to a position in the practice of public accounting;
- Any combination of public accounting or governmental/industry.
A firm license process
Each firm and office thereof established or maintained for the practice of public accountancy in this State shall register with the Board within 30 days after it is opened, and annually thereafter, on a form prescribed by the Board.
Each office shall be under the direct supervision of a resident manager who must be registered with this Board and the holder of a valid annual permit.
While we do our best to keep all of this information up to date you are welcome to visit and or contact that Nevada Board of Accountancy with any other questions you might have.
Nevada State Board of Public Accountancy
Address: 1325 Airmotive Way, Ste. 220
Reno, NV 89502
Phone: (775) 786-0231
Fax: (775) 786-0234
CPA Certification form: Nevada CPA Certification Form
Annual Registration form: Nevada Annual Registration Form