A CPA is a certified public accountant who is licensed by a state board of accountancy.
To earn the prestige associated with the CPA license, you are required to demonstrate knowledge and competence by meeting high educational standards, passing the CPA exam and completing a specific amount of general accounting experience.
The two most important aspects of becoming a CPA are passing the Uniform CPA Exam and meeting licensing requirements in the state where you want to practice.
|Virgin Islands CPA licensure Requirements – Overview|
|Educational Hours Required for Licensure||120 Semester Hours|
|Residency Required||U.S. citizen or legal resident|
|Degree Required||Bachelor’s or Master’s|
|Minimum Age||Not required|
|Additional Requirements||Virgin Islands Board of Accountancy Site|
Educational Hours Required for licensure
The Certified Public Accountant certification is one of the most prestigious professional certifications available. It indicates that the accountant has satisfied a demanding set of educational, professional, and ethical standards. In addition, candidates must pass the rigorous CPA exam in order to earn the distinction of this credential. Before candidates can sit for the exam, they must satisfy their Virgin Islands CPA requirements and qualifications. Each state has its own set of eligibility requirements for the CPA licensure, which should not be confused with CPA exam requirements. Below we will be discussing the requirements for the state of Virgin Islands.
Applicants must pass the following exams:
- Uniform CPA Examination
- Local CPA Examination
- A baccalaureate degree with an accounting concentration or its equivalent as determined by board rule.
- A total of 120 semester hours of education.
- The minimum educational requirement for the CPA certificate is a diploma from a four (4) year high school.
- Candidates who hold degrees from recognized colleges or universities are required to have three (3) years of experience, immediately preceding application in public accounting or in governmental accounting as an auditor or internal revenue agent.
- Candidates who hold degrees from recognized colleges or universities and who have completed thirty (30) or more semester hours of study in accounting, business law, economics, and finance (of which a minimum of twenty (20) semester hours are in accounting) must have two (2) years of experience, immediately preceding application, in public accounting or governmental accounting as an auditor or internal revenue agent.
Minimum age required
Minimum age not required. Applicant must be a citizen of the United States or legally present in the United States.
Candidates who have successfully passed the examination will be required to complete the American Institute of Certified Public Accountant’s continuing professional educational course “Professional Ethics: The AICPA’s Comprehensive Course On-Demand (For Licensure).”
$150 for the individual application and $150 for firm annual permit.
Must have two (2) years of experience, immediately preceding application, in public accounting or governmental accounting as an auditor or internal revenue agent.
A firm license process
Each firm and office thereof established or maintained for the practice of public accountancy in this State shall register with the Board within 30 days after it is opened, and annually thereafter, on a form prescribed by the Board.
Each office shall be under the direct supervision of a resident manager who must be registered with this Board and the holder of a valid annual permit.
While we do our best to keep all of this information up to date you are welcome to visit and or contact that Virgin Islands Board of Accountancy with any other questions you might have.
Virgin Islands State Board of Public Accountancy
Address:Department of Licensing and Consumer Affairs
3000 Golden Rock Shopping Center, Suite 9
Christiansted, VI 00820-4311
Phone: (340) 713-DLCA(3522)
Fax: (340) 718-6908
NASBA Licensing Services
PO Box 198589
Nashville, TN 37219
Toll Free: (866) 350-0017
CPA Certification form: Virgin Islands CPA Certification Form
Annual Registration form: Virgin Islands Annual Registration Form